Moxley family, town have mixed emotions
By Ryan Jockers, Reporter - Greenwich Time

GREENWICH - For the victim's family and others whose lives have been consumed for almost a quarter-century by the murder of Martha Moxley, yesterday was a day they often believed might never come.

"I'm elated, really and truly," said Steve Carroll, a former Greenwich police detective who was one of the first people at the crime scene Oct. 31, 1975, the day Moxley was found bludgeoned to death on her family's Belle Haven estate. "But to be truthful, I did not think it would happen."

Yesterday, Michael Skakel, Moxley's neighbor at the time of the killing and a nephew of the late Robert F. Kennedy, surrendered on murder charge at police headquarters. Skakel, 39, recently emerged as the prime suspect in the case after police investigations had focused for years on his older brother, Thomas.

"It's going to take a while to realize that it's actually been solved," said John McCreight, a former police consultant who worked with Martha Moxley's late father, David, at Touche Ross & Co. and advised him in the days after the murder. "This is what I wanted, and what David would have wanted. And frankly, this is where we should have been 24 years ago."

Dorthy Moxley, Martha's mother, yesterday was swept up in emotion and activity at her home in Chatham Township, N.J.

She said she was tipped off to an impending arrest in the murder when Investigator Frank Garr called her Tuesday morning to inform her of yesterday's news conference.

"I said, 'Am I going to be happy?' " Moxley said. "He couldn't tell me what was going to happen, but he said I would not be disappointed."

News reports began to trickle in and, starting early yesterday morning, the phone began to ring at Moxley's house. "Even strangers have called me," she said. "From all over."

Her daughter-in-law, Cara Moxley, helped answer the telephone while Moxley spent hours sitting for television interviews, honoring as many requests as she possibly could.

"The press has been so wonderful to me," she said.

McCreight said an arrest in the case never would have occurred if not for the tireless work of Dorthy Moxley and several journalists.

John Moxley, Cara's husband and Martha's brother, was traveling on business yesterday and could not be reached for comment.

Moxley said she had a few quiet moments yesterday, which allowed her to reflect on the years before media scrutiny of the case prompted a reinvestigation in 1991.

"At one time, maybe about 12 years after Martha died, it was a little hard to have hope," Moxley said.

"I just want to say how much I appreciate the efforts of Frank Garr and (State's Attorney) Jonathan Benedict. And how blessed I feel to have friends like Dominick Dunne, Mark Fuhrman, Tim Dumas and Tom Alessi."

Dunne drew attention to the case with a novel based on the murder; Fuhrman, a former Los Angeles Police Department detective, and Dumas, a local journalist, both published nonfiction accounts; and Alessi, a Stamford resident, has maintained a Web site dedicated to the unsolved murder.

Dumas, whose "Greentown: Murder and Mystery in Greenwich, America's Wealthiest Community" dissected the investigation, said the entire town would take note of the arrest.

"We've been waiting for this day for 24 years," he said.

Go To Main Page