"Molxey Grand Jury Testimony Begins"
By J.A. Johnson Jr., Staff Writer
Greenwich Time, July 11, 1998

BRIDGEPORT -- Under a veil of secrecy, grand jury testimony got underway in state Superior Court yesterday in what could be a last-ditch attempt at bringing to justice the person who murdered Greenwich teenager Martha Moxley 23 years ago.

With deputy county sheriffs guarding both entrances to a third-floor courtroom of the Fairfield County Courthouse, witnesses were escorted inside one-by-one to appear before judge George N. Thim, appointed last month as a one-man grand jury to probe the unsolved 1975 murder.

Among the witnesses to testify in the closed-door proceeding were the 15-year- old victim's only two surviving immediate family members, mother Dorthy and brother John Moxley, and retired Greenwich police officer Daniel Hickman, one of the first police officers to arrive at the crime scene.

Upon their arrival at the courthouse, the Moxleys declined comment and were quickly escorted into a private waiting room, where they were later joined by Hickman and an unidentified woman.

Before talking his turn before Thim, Hickman said he expected he would be questioned about his observations upon finding Martha Moxley's battered and stabbed body beneath a tree on her family's Walsh Lane estate the afternoon of Oct. 31, 1975. A Baptist minister who was wearing a dark suit and clutching a worn red Bible, Hickman said, "I'm very glad we're doing this, glad we are investigating this matter a little further. I hope something good comes out of this for the sake of (the murdered girl's) family and the community."

Hickman and his former partner, retired Greenwich police officer Millard Jones, created a stir last year when, in an October interview with Greenwich Time, they gave recollections of the Moxley crime scene that greatly differed from the official account. Local and state authorities have always maintained that a crucial piece of evidence - the handle of the golf club used to bludgeon and stab Moxley, on which the killer's fingerprints might have been found - was never recovered.

Hickman and Jones both told the newspaper that they saw the golf club handled impaled in the victim when they arrived at the crime scene. In the interview, Hickman said he never before told of seeing the golf club handle because "for some reason I blacked out" details of the day he found the body of a girl who had been so brutally murdered. He said memories came flooding back to him upon being interviewed for a book about the Moxley case by former Los Angeles police detective mark Fuhrman.

What asked yesterday whether he would tell the grand jury he had seen the handle in the victim, Hickman said, "Absolutely."