"Henry Lee to Recount Moxley Probe for Grand Jury"
By J.A. Johnson Jr., Staff Writer, Greenwich Time

Public Safety Commissioner Henry Lee is scheduled to give grand jury testimony in Bridgeport this morning concerning the work he did on the Martha Moxley murder investigation while serving as the state's top forensic scientist, court sources said.

Lee, who became head of the state police earlier this year, was director of the State Police Forensic Science Laboratory in Meriden when a reinvestigation of the Greenwich teenager's murder was launched in 1991. In 1994, he presented investigators with a 6-inch thick report detailing the crime scene reconstruction and evidence testing he and a team of six scientists performed over a two-year period.

"What we found is now a legal issue," Lee said yesterday. "As a scientist, I can only present the scientific facts and let the judge, the jury or whoever make the decisions."

Lee said that after visiting the crime scene, even two decades after the fact, he was able to establish a more precise sequence of events for investigators. "As a matter of fact, the investigators think the reconstruction answered a lot of questions they previously didn't have answers to," he said.

The contents of Lee's report were never disclosed, and he declined to discuss his findings because of the ongoing homicide investigation. But in a 1994 interview with Greenwich Time, Lee said among the evidence analyzed was hair found at the Walsh Lane murder scene that possibly came from the killer. He also said the hair was compared with samples from someone he would not identify, but there was no match.

Some evidence from the Moxley case was sent to a U.S. Defense Department laboratory for advanced DNA testing, the results of which were not made public. The only other physical evidence known to have been recovered was portions of the murder weapon, a golf club that was either intentionally broken or shattered when used to bludgeon and stab Moxley on the evening of Oct. 30, 1975.

Police said the golf club came from a set of clubs owned by the Skakel family, who were neighbors of the Moxleys in the town's exclusive Belle Haven section. Two of the Skakel's seven children are the only suspects being investigated for the murder, officials have said.Thomas and Michael Skakel, then 17 and 15 years old, respectively, were both with their 15-year-old neighbor the night she was slain. The only part of the murder weapon police said was never recovered was the grip portion of the golf club's handle, on which the killer's fingerprints might have been found.

The grand jury that has been probing the murder since July has heard the testimony of witnesses who allegedly heard Michael Skakel confess to the crime during his stay at a drug and alcohol rehabilitation facility a few years after the murder. About 40 witnesses have appeared in the sealed grand jury room of the Fairfield County Courthouse in Bridgeport, including friends and relatives of the two suspects.

Originally given a six-month mandate that expires in December, State's Attorney Jonathan Benedict, who is assisting the grand juror - Superior Court Judge George Thim - said this week an application will be made to extend the probe at least six months. Prosecutors had hoped to complete their work by next month, but the investigation has been hindered by court skirmishes over reluctant witnesses and defense attorneys challenging subpoenas.